[RC] Teen Died after Fall from Horse - Mary Ann Spencer

Title: BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | Teen died after fall from horse

Subject: Teen Died after Fall from Horse

Teen died after fall from horse
The mother of a teenage girl from Kent who died after falling from her horse, says she feels guilty for not ensuring her daughter was wearing a riding hat.

Samantha Richards, 15, from Leysdown on the Isle of Sheppey, was riding her horse with a friend when they both fell off. Sam suffered fatal head injuries.

Despite repeated advice to always wear a hat the "head strong" youngster said she felt more comfortable without one.

Her mother Claire said she hopes other riders will learn from her experience.

"When she fell off the horse my first instinct was to get hold of her and shake her and say why didn't you have a hat on," Mrs Richards said.

"There's no point being angry as it's all if and buts, but if she had had a hat on she might not have died."

Sam was enjoying a day out with family and friends on 1 October when her horse, Rhummy, turned a bend and both youngsters fell to the ground.

Her friend, who was wearing her safety hat, managed to get up but Sam was so seriously injured that she was taken to hospital by air ambulance before being transferred to Kings College Hospital in London.

She underwent emergency surgery and was on a life-support machine but died four days later.

Mrs Richards said she couldn't help feeling guilty at her daughter's death.

"I do feel to blame but they were all riding without hats.

"I can't blame myself because Sam was 15 and she'd do what she wanted to do.

"She felt comfortable without a hat and just didn't see the danger," she added.