[RC] Manzanita Ride, part 1 of ? - Nancy

I seem to have a bit of writer's block as of late.  Please excuse my
tardiness with this ride story.
Daughter Danielle, horses Lyric and Jazzi and I were very excited about the
Manzanita ride.  This would be Jazzi's first real endurance ride and this
would be Dani and Lyric's 3rd or 4th 25 miler.  Our neighbor Jill and her
beloved RC Lawman were doing the 50.  Friends Tara, Craig and their daughter
Danielle were all signed up for the 25.  Tara's Danielle (Walker) was taking
her new mare, Bell.
The Elfin RV and the new trailer was just about fully packed Thursday, the
night before.  I had my clothes washed and snacks packed.  All the water
bottles and the Camelback were found and filled with filtered water.  A bale
of hay was secured in the back corner of the trailer by a new set of D rings
waiting the test run.  Lyric knew something was up and she started pacing in
her stall with the Friday morning feeding. I kept running the list in my
mind, over and over.
Finally the packing was done and the horses loaded in less than 5 minutes.
At 12:30 pm Friday the Elfin RV's big V10 roared to life and we were on our
way!   The RV hummed and the horses were quiet as we snaked up the San Elijo
canyon past the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve where we train.  This is
perhaps the most dangerous part of the entire drive as the road is very
narrow and windy with no shoulders and no room for mistakes.  The locals
call it "the narrows" and in spite of it's beauty from the hundred year old
coast live oak canopy and murmuring creek, this is no place to day dream
about an endurance ride.  I pray for safe passage as we traverse this
section, asking for divine protection in a green gate to hell.
In minutes the danger is passed and we rumble past the smelly chicken ranch
and retired dairy, beacons of a previous life.  Soon to be a new horse
community; homes in waiting.  With the smell comes cell service. Jill had
somehow managed to get 20 minutes ahead of us and we chatted on the cell
phone about the traffic, food and our horses and kids.  We fill the Elfin RV
with gas (oh that hurt!), chatted with a endurance want to be and we are
gliding down the 15 south.  as usual Dani has her nose in a book and I am
looking for traffic reports and some traveling music.  I settle on Jimmy
Buffet, Living and Dying in /4 Time.
We hit the ride camp in a bit before 3 pm.  Terry, the ride manager has very
funny signs instructing us to locate our assigned hook up and place in life.
Quickly the horses are unloaded, hay bags and water set out, RV leveled and
plugged in.  Time to find friends and vet in.  As if directed from a
supernatural power Jill and Tara have set up camp next to each other under a
massive oak.  Bobbie and Karl are next to them.  We spend time catching up
and all to soon the sun is starting to set and we still need to pre-ride the
finish!
A quick tack up and we are exploring the groomed dirt and sand road as it
gently rises toward the scrub covered hills that will test both horse and
rider the next day.  Dani and I wonder out load if Lyric and Jazzi remember
the trail from last year.  I assume they do remember as both Jazzi and Lyric
are relatively quiet and have dispensed with the silliness they displayed
last year. In what seemed minutes the sunlight is gone and it is time for
the ride meeting.
As with many sacred riding areas, Manzinita has experienced growth that has
blocked trails.  Terry is funny when explaining that the start of the ride
is a bit different than last year as the new neighbors have not given
permission for the ride to trespass.  I am thankful we will by pass most of
the cows due to the unfriendly new residents.  The third loop for the 50 is
new too.  I am too hungry to listen and my "mental-pause" infected brain has
shut it self off for the night.
Dinner is a Mexican pot luck affair at Tara's RV.  We all get in and chow
down on scrumptious chicken tacos, cheese enchilada casserole, salad and
beer.  The two Danielle's are happily reconnecting, Jill is making new
friends and are tummies are happy.  Our horses are happily slurping their
beat pulp and electrolyte soup and their hay bags are stuffed full.  I only
let my self have a couple of beers.  I learned not to drink too much alcohol
at the Descanso CTR earlier in the summer with my neighbor Jaisia.  I played
a big price for one too many glasses of wine  and I was not going to repeat
that mistake!
Still I am in heaven. The companionship in ride camp is some thing I
cherish.  It makes bedtime come way too soon.
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA