[RC] RC: Suzy and sensative ear problem - Carol Suggs

First remember this:  TAKE THE TIME THAT IT TAKES.  This is an issue that may take awhile for him to gain your trust on.  Something that you may have to work on every day.  Ears are so vital to a horse and one of the very sensative areas that they protect. Pratice the approach and retreat method.  Do not have him tied while you try to do this.  Be in a nice open area.

While under halter have the lead rope drapped over your left arm and with the right  arm work on petting and gently squeezing his neck.  As you move up the neck you can put a little pressure on the lead rope, but not much.  The idea is that you quit rubbing his neck immediately when he relaxes his neck and head or gives to you.  Then give him a break and start right back where you left off.  Eventually working your way up his neck.  All the while you retreat (quit rubbing) as soon as he "gives" (relaxes).  After awhile you will make it to the base of his ears, use the same method until he tolerates it.  Then you can brush your hand over his ear and down his face as if to simulate putting a halter off and on.  Once he does one side good then move your had to the other side.

You will have to be very consistant and I would advice that only you handle the horse and not let anyone else handle him while you are working thru this issue.

We have a horse that is extremely nervious about his ears.  You can halter him and bridle him but he won't really tolerate you taking your time to do it.  Any excess time spend up by his ears and he goes bonkers.  But with the method that I outlined above he has done way better.  My goal is to eventually clip his ears, but we aren't there yet.

Good Luck and remember never to be in a hurry when training, you have to have more time than the horse has because they don't work on a schedule like we do.

Carol-Mariposa