Re: [RC] Weight hay requirements/question for Heidi and Susan - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 10/11/2005 7:38:19 PM Central Standard Time, suendavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

the best quality you can look for in an endurance prospect is the ability to
engulf astonishing amounts of forage.

LOL!  If that's the case, then my 5 yr old, 14.2h CMK gelding Sundance will be a good one.  I swear that sucker could eat his weight in hay, given a chance.  He was penned up with a bad case of scratches a couple months ago...our retired neighbors fed him while we were gone for a couple days...the husband gave him a whole new bale of hay (ours weigh right around 50-55 lbs) at 6 am, knowing he'd get home late that night and not wanting his wife to have to feed him, and not wanting him to run out but not knowing just how much he'd eat.  She went over anyway at 8:30 pm to check on him, and he had no hay...just a little skim on the ground...so she gave him some more.  That horse is an equine garbage disposal...if it's not nailed down, he'll eat it.  I've never seen a horse eat as much or as continually as he does.  He's starting conditioning now (will do his first LD in a couple weeks), and he's taking to it like a duck to water.  :)

Dawn and Epic Sundance (did she just insult me or compliment me with that 'equine garbage disposal' comment???)