[RC] Right to Ride/Trail access - Dean A. Conti

Included in the recent volume of email in regards to the Right to Ride bill, I saw mention of a group called the High Sierra Hikers (HSH) who opposed this legislation. I decided to investigate who they are and to try to understand their basis of rejection. I though it might be interesting for some to read these linked essays and to peruse the HSH web site. If this is a true representation of their goals, perhaps cross contact would be a good idea for all concerned.

http://www.highsierrahikers.org/essay_index.html

One question I have is about the commercial packers and their percentage of trail usage compared to private users. Here in the Pacific Northwest (PNW) commercial usage appears to be a quite small percentage. Is there that much commercial pressure in the High Sierras? Personally I make a significant distinction between private and commercial usage.

One thing we may want to stress to the opposition groups is that the largest cause of trail damage (at least locally) is the winter rain, ice, snow and wind storms. All trails, regardless of usage, seem to be fairly equally damaged by Mother Nature herself…

Dean