[RC] Dressage/Endurance cross training - Ashley Wingert

On the subject of dressage horses...about 6 months ago, I started taking dressage lessons at the barn where I board on my POA mare. Nothing fancy, very intro level stuff, but the effect on was amazing! I came out of a show background in POAs, which are bred to "do everything" - Western, English, jumping, gymkhana...you name it...however, dressage wasn't exactly widely popular. Something about 14 hand and under ponies and all...so a lot of the "training" was forcing a horse into a frame, instead of teaching them to round and carry themselves naturally.

Well, 6 months of dressage has taught my mare and myself more than 7 years of showing ever did, and we put it to the test 2 weeks ago at the Man Against Horse Race in Prescott, AZ. We've done competitive trail for 3 years, and I have to admit, some of our rides have been...I think interesting is the word i'm looking for. Nose rooted in the air, pulling on the bit...time to "go, go, go!" So I wasn't sure what to expect during our first LD ride. I figured she's be pretty excited at being allowed to move otu faster than she's accustomed to...and I was right. But it was quite amazing the difference the dressage training made - it taught her to really give to the bit, and really move off of seat pressure (as well as taught me how to effectively use cues and communication with the horse, not just sit there "rising rpetty" for an equitation class). Instead of fighting me for half the ride, we only had to have one short "discussion" early on in the ride that involved pulling off to the side and doing lots of flexing and bending, plus some moving off the leg cues. After that, she was pretty much good as gold. She tended to move in a very inverted frame previously, and would usually come off a ride with some tight muscles along her neck and back. After this ride, she was feeling really loose and limber, and had lots of energy left over, and I attribute part of that to her dressage basics.

So just my 2 cents worth on how even low level dressage can really help distance horses, not to mention the benefit to the riders, and consequently the horses, of riding balanced and more effectively.

Ashley Wingert (and Mimi - wow! We can naturally carry ourselves in a frame, we can!)
SW Region - Gilbert, AZ (ok, summer is over...time for hot weather to *leave*...)