Re: [RC] New experience for me - Steph E Caldwell

Barbara McCrary wrote:

something. A better equestrian would use a snaffle and achieve the same results, I think, but I am not accomplished with a snaffle. I hate hurting a horse's mouth. The rope noseband seems to give me the same or similar results without hurting his mouth. Whatever, if the use of the sidepull truly makes a permanent difference in Banner, he will be the most amazing horse I have ever ridden. He is very affectionate and has so many great qualities that I love.

I have a horse that sounds alot like Banner... He was a rescue this spring that had been owned by a friend. He was always a spooker and a bolter, but was a been there, done that trail horse. I thought that I could just pick up and ride him, but his spooking and bolting was out of control when I bought him, he had lost all trust in humans. It's taken about 6 months of ground work to get him back to being ridden, and like your Banner he likes some contact, so i ride him in a Happy Mouth French link with Roller (he was in 10" shanks with a twisted wire mouthpiece).

I ride Classical Dressage, and between riding off my seat more, and getting him a Reactor Panel saddle that really FITS him, he's turned into being a great 5 gaited trail horse, Dressage horse, and we've even done some cross country work with him...

Here's some photos of him http://photos.yahoo.com/stefffi_c (I'm so proud of him, I've been showing off his before and after photos to everyone lately!)

Steph