Re: [RC] Right to Ride Act - Vallonelee

Better then what I got from an Arizona politician.

Lee

Thank you for writing to me about H.R. 586, the Right-to-Ride legislation.

While I support horseback riding as a legitimate use on public lands, I cannot support H.R. 586. Horseback riding is already a well-established and recognized use on federal lands, however, in some cases the use of horses is inappropriate for a particular unit of federal public lands, perhaps due to conflicts with other types of recreation, conflicts with the habitat needs of wildlife, or the need to protect especially sensitive areas, such as riparian zones.

As written, H.R. 586 will raise the use of horses above other uses on federal lands. Currently, activities such as hiking, hunting, or fishing enjoy no similar right of access. Furthermore, the legislation contains no provision for curtailment of pack and saddle stock for public health and safety or in emergencies.

H.R. 586 will unnecessarily undermine and limit the discretion of federal land managers to determine whether horseback riding is an appropriate use for a particular unit of federal land. Land managers need this discretion in order to make appropriate decisions for the land, based on science and based on the necessity of providing for many other activities on federal public lands, and balanced against the need to preserve their resources for future generations.

At this time, I do not believe H.R. 586 is in the best interests of our public lands or the many people and wildlife who enjoy use of them.

Thank you again for contacting me. I always appreciate hearing about the issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Raul M. Grijalva

Member of Congress