Re: [RC] Flatbed trucks and California laws - Lady Monalaina

I have a class A permit because of the trailer that we
were thinking of getting. It has been a long and
painful process. Every time we go into the DMV we are
met with opposition and no one knows what to do with
us. I guess when horses are involved nothing is ever
easy. We have decided to wait on the trailer with
live-in quarters and instead will be snuggling with
our ponies for warmth. I hope it goes easier for you.
Jules

--- Dyane Smith <sunibey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As all of you know, I was horrified to find out that
California law requires me to get a commercial
license for my new 4x4 pickup if I replace the bed
with a flatbed so that it will fit under my 5 year
old gooseneck.

Well, just to let you know...  Yesterday, I stopped
by the DMV and picked up the study booklet for the
Class A license and, frankly, I'm warming to the
whole idea.  (Not the extra expense, of course,
that's a pain.)  But the booklet has a lot of very
useful safety information.  A lot of the driving
instructions I had already been doing, as probably
are all of you.  But the hints on driving in snow,
rain and ice were helpful and it would be nice to be
able to pop the hood and actually know what I'm
looking at.  Be able to check hoses, connections,
etc.  That will save money because up to now, every
time I headed out on a long trip, I took the rig to
my mechanic and had him go over it.

Anyway, I still haven't made up my mind about the
flatbed, but at least it's not all bad.

Dyane (soon to be easing into the weigh stations
with the big boys)

"You may forget but let me tell you this, someday, someone in some future time
will think of us." - Sappho, circa 625 B.C.