Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Increasing Income - Ridecamp Guest - Cordell Rogers - Cordell Rogers

Lucinda,

Thanks for the email.  I am including it here to make
the discussion public.  True, most auditors- like most
americans- do not understand the horse industry.  The
IRS prepared this publication to assist its auditors
in understanding the horse industry:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/page/0,,id%3D6979,00.html#Chap6

What you're saying sounds like the old joke:
Q: How do you end up with a small fortune with horses?
A: Start with a large fortune.

The IRS has to use a reasonable approach to determine
if an activity is a business or a hobby.  The
difference is defined by profit motive.  The easiest
way to prove that you have a profit motive is by
making a profit.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect that a legitimate
business may lose money some years; however, it should
turn a profit at least once every few years.  If it
never makes a profit but instead loses money year
after year, any logical business owner would abandon
the business or make significant changes to increase
profitability.

If this doesn't happen, any reasonable person would
conclude that the taxpayer does not have a profit
motive.  Therefore, his motive for keeping horses must
be something else, like recreation or hobby.  By law,
the expenses related to a hobby cannot create a loss -
they can merely offset income generated by the hobby.

Most illegitimate horse operations want to deduct
expenses and not report income (if there is any
income).  Therefore, if you want to avoid scrutiny -
make money with your horses or if you're not doing it
for the money, don't deduct the expenses.

Yes, you have a right to operate a business & more
power to you if you enjoy your work.  Where people get
in trouble is going beyond that right and trying to
get me & you to subsidize their hobbies by claiming
expenses that are not related to a legitimate
business.

Cordell

--- Lucinda Carpe <kharakterc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Mr. Rogers,
Even someone with a legitimate profit motive would
have a hard time making money in the horse business.
Lets all remember that it takes a large amount of
money to make a small amount of money in the horse
business.
However, it should not discourage the small
breeder..and I think that the horse business is
unfairly scrutinized by the IRS and most IRS agents
do not understand the horse business or horses at
all. do not understand that horses are pregnant for
one year. you get one foal a year it takes time to
make that profit etc....while I am not a CPA I do
understand the horse business. While I have limited
finances to invest in my business it is a business.
I have a right to operate a business and yes enjoy
it as well./Lucinda

Cordell Rogers <cordell_rogers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kathy-

I am a CPA and believe that your advice is not sound
regarding taxes. Some of your advice is simply bad
financial advice (like spending dollars to save
quarters) and other parts would be considered
fraudulent.

Horse owners historically have abused the tax laws
by
trying to get Uncle Sam to finance their hobby by
claiming invalid deductions. That is why any loss
related to horse 'businesses' are scrutinized so
carefully by the IRS. Most horse operations are not
businesses as defined by the tax code and do not
operate with a profit motive.

See the IRS article 'Is it a Business or a Hobby?'
for
more info before you decide to 'write off' all your
horse expenses.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99239,00.html

Cordell Rogers

Re: [RC] Increasing Income - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kathy Myers magnumsmom@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce,

What a great email and inspiration. I've got a dozen
bananas
in my truck. ;-)

I hope this isn't too late, as I've been working
solid
and
I've fallen way behind on being able to keep up with
Ridecamp.
However, I like where you are going with this
thread.

We moved to NM without a job at the height of the
dot
commie
crash. We knew that we needed to be like a farmer...
more
than one income stream... so that if the "pecans"
failed one
year, we would still have a "corn" and / or a "bean"
crop.

We still work in that direction. No matter where we
are
at, we are always looking for the next opportunity
so
we
could be ready in case we needed it. A job is never
job
until you start the first day... or maybe when the
first
paycheck arrives. Having two irons in the fire has
saved
me more than once in the last 4 years.

Another thing we do: maximize our tax deductions and
use a
good accountant. If you own a home, it's a lot more
in your
pocket than just the equity. The payments are a
write
off.
If you can, refinance every debt that is not tax
deductable
under a 2nd on your home. The payments usually
decrease
(though you pay over a longer time) and free up more
cash
now. Don't count out inflation. $300 / month in 10
years
is only worth $150 - $200 in today's buying power.
We
call
a 6% mortgage rate "free money" because for the most
part,
the house will appreciate at or faster than 6%. The
cost of
a good accountant is also a tax write off.

We moved someplace where we could keep our horses at
home.
That way all of the money I used to spend on board
is
now
going into my house payment. Note: board is not tax
deductable,
but the house payment is. Therefore, I actually get
more for
my money (15 - 38% depending on the tax bracket)
than
I did
when we had to board.

Here's an interesting one: Buy a LQ trailer with a
potty
and a stove on a 15 year loan. Why? Because it
qualifies
as a second home (vacation home) and the payments
(interest
pretty much for the first 7 years) are a tax write
off.
You wonder how people buy those things? They get the
write
off. I haven't done this, but we have thought about
it.

Start some kind of an endurance or horse related
business,
then you can write off part of your horse expenses.
Look at what you are
paying in taxes every year and see if you can
get some of that back to pay every day expenses.
Bruce could
get qualified to work on horses and write off
expenses
for
going to rides... say, if he also works on horses.
He
will
of course need to have his own horses at home to
practice on.

It's not increasing your bottom line, but it is
using
the
money you make to the max.

If you only want to work a service job, look for one
with
benefits... ie, Starbucks or Kinko's.

Use Monster, Dice, and CareerBuilder. See what is
going on
out there in the market place. The job market is
still iffy,
and don't risk a good thing, but if you are luke
warm
about
your job, check to see what's going on. I've had job
search
engines running for years just to keep an eye on the
market
in my profession. BTW, if you send resumes out, make
sure to
follow up with a phone call or email. These
companies
are
now getting tons of electronic resumes. I hate doing
this,
but it really is necessary.

I keep tabs on side contracts even though I now have
good
full time job. I will work nights / weekends and use
that
money to buy horse things and pay for rides. There
is
less
time to train when I work 2 jobs, but I don't have
ride
fast. We can still go and have a great day. I do a
lot of
job related networking and keep up with those
contacts. I
also network between job opportunities and good
people
who
need work so everyone wins. In CA, I used to do this
for the
finders fee. In NM for the most part I do it so that
when I
need an extra side job (read vet bill) I have a
network of
people who are willing to help me too.

One last idea for increasing income. "Find" a ram.
The ram
just happens to be the Zuni fetish for prosperity...

:) - Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
"just working 2 jobs these days..."

http://mail.yahoo.com

Yahoo! for Good
 Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina
relief effort.