[RC] Banning horses from trails - Sky Ranch

Dear Mr. Swanson,

I write to you today, to tell you that to ban equestrian use in Colorado state parks and any other trail in the U.S. is wrong, both morally and economically.  Horses and mules were used to establish,and now are used to maintain, the many trails in the continental U.S., most especially in Colorado and throughout the western U.S., in difficult mountain and desert terrain.  Without equine muscle power and companionship, most trails would not exist throughout the Rockies and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges, to use two examples from the western U.S.  .

I have several points to make.  As well as an equestrian, I also am a hiker, camper, and bicycler.  When I ride my horse, I share the trails with hikers and bicyclers, and off-road vehicles.  There is room for all, I believe, if all respect the rights of others.  Never have I had a problem with another trail user, and in fact have made new friends on the trail as I ride, among hikers, ATV users and bicyclers.  We all use and respect the trails.

Another important point:  the claim that horses and mules spread 'noxious weeds' is unproven.  There are several ongoing studies that I believe will prove that it is a false claim.  At forest service trailheads, horse users comply with the regulations to use weed free hay.  Noxious weeds can be spread by many other means other than equine use -- birds, wind, water, vehicles, for example. Please, do the research -- and do not publish false, undocumented assertions.

Many equine organizations contribute to the upkeep of trails.  Back Country Horsemen of America (BCHA) works with the Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Forest Service, and local and state park systems to maintain and establish trails.  Other equine organizations such as the American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA), Arabian Horse Association (AHA), North American Trail Riders Association (NATRC) and American Endurance Ride Conference (AERC) also contribute significantly to keep trails open and safe for all use.  These are the organizations that I am familiar with; however, I am certain there are many more.

To sum it up, our various equine memberships are spread out all over the U.S.  We have a significant contribution to local, state and national economies with our sport of trail riding.  One need only visit a horse show, trail riding event, or endurance ride, for example, to easily see the amount of money spent in equine activities - truck and trailer sales, travel and tourism contributing to local, rural economies, sales of tack, feedstuff supplies, etc.

To close off trails to equine use is not only wrong morally, it is wrong to do so for overall economical stability.

Respectfully and sincerely,

Carla Richardson
Member of AERC, AHA, AQHA, BCHA, and NATRC
Cortez, Colorado