Re: [RC] Pros and Cons of confinement systems - Jessica Spoone-Raines

I have a 3 horse slant trailer with a large dressing room so I use the trailer as one side of my corral. Its less panels to carry and give them a secure place to be fastened to so they cant be collapsed (at least not easily). I have done a lot of camping with my guys this way and it works out well.
Jessica Spoone-Raines
----- Original Message -----
From: Jonni
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 1:37 PM
Subject: [RC] Pros and Cons of confinement systems

*Electric fence corral:

Pro's-
can set up different sizes as per camp restrictions, takes up little space in rig, not too difficult to set up. Cost fairly reasonable.

Con's-  not as visible, especially to a loose horse, running through camp. If a horse (yours or someone else's) runs through it, it can cause a HUGE wreck, spooking more horses as wire and posts are being dragged through camp, needs power source to make it "hot", can be a hazard to kids if they touch it (but they won't do it again! ;-)   )  Horses wearing a blanket can learn to lean on it, and not feel the bite.

*Portable metal or PVC corrals:

Pro's - some horses view them as a "normal" corral and will respect them. Very visible to other loose horses. Some can be adjusted to size and shape as per camp area available. Many are fairly strong for horses who do test their confinement.

Con's-  Cost, depending on system, can be expensive. Some horses can lean into them, and have the collapse around them, causing panic. Can be noisy if metal, and the horses learn to clang and bang against them. Some horses learn to lift them and move them by putting head and neck between them and lifting. Needs more storage space to haul them to ride. Must be set up, and often tiresome after a weekend of riding to take down, and store on to rig to haul home.

*High lines:

Pro's- cheap, easy to set up. Horses can move some on them if you make them a sliding tether. Take up next to no space for storage. Not much set up time.

Con's- not all rides have high tie poles or trees to tie to. Can stretch and droop if not tied really, really tight, then causing the horse to have the ability to get a foot over their tie rope.

*tie to trailer:

Pro's- you already have everything needed. A trailer and lead rope.  Quick, easy to take down at end of the ride.

Con's - many people have trouble with horses getting in to trouble, rope burns, getting caught under the trailer when the lay down etc. (I have not had these issues) horses that tug and rub can bump and move the trailer at night, waking the rider if they sleep in trailer.

* Hi-tie systems:

Pro's- easy to set up and take down. more room for horse to move around than direct tie to trailer. Cost less than some corral systems.

Con's - for horses who do not tie well, any tie system is a problem. same as tie to trailer, some folks have trouble with rope burns etc. Getting the right length of tie rope seems difficult for some people to allow horse to lay down and roll, but not get caught in rope. (I don't think this is a system problem, but user issue)  cost is more than tie to trailer, or maybe some electric fence systems.

As mentioned. Not all systems will work for all horses and riders. What has worked for me for over 20+ years (direct tie to trailer or Hi-Tie) is something many have had trouble with and will never use with their horses. You need to match the system used with what will work for you and your horses. All of the systems have a level of training involved to have it work the best for you.

Jonni in TX