[RC] Picket lines - Marinera

A horse safari group in Africa had a great system of tying many horses to a picket line.  The rope stretched taught between two trees had metal rings in it about every eight feet.  The horses' halter ropes had weights on the ends.  The clasp of the rope was threaded through the tie ring and connected to the halter on the horse.  When the horse was standing quietly, the weight was on the ground. When he put his head down to eat or scratch his nose, the weight pulled up so he could not get his feet entangled in the rope.  The tie ring kept the weight from being pulled through.  It seemed to work very well whether there was one horse on the picket line or many.  I can't recall what the weights were made of, probably just a block of wood, but I doubt if they weighed more than a couple of pounds.  Julie Suhr