[RC] Roadside Riding and Night Riding - Suzy Ticer

We do all of our training rides on the roads by our house; during the day and night. I can't imagine having to trailer to train, but I know we are spoiled living in the country. We have different length loops from 5 miles to 20 miles, some with creeks and some without. We cross and ride on a four lane highway. Most of the shoulders are very wide from 8 to 20 feet, but there are some narrow spots where we ride on the road. When I got my new horse, Kidd, we started him off at a slow walk and riding with an experienced horse. I think it is great training, getting them used to all kinds of vehicles, motorcycles, bikes, trucks, trash, car parts, junked coolers, noise, live and dead animals.

You do have to be aware of drivers of all kinds, but we have not had any problems. We wave at everybody, and the kids (of all ages) wave back. I think most people are shocked to see two horses trotting and cantering down the side of the road.

We even have a Friday night ride we do to the small local bar, 12 1/2 miles round trip. They even have a fenced in area for our horses. We leave the house about 7pm, have dinner and a couple of beers, and listen to the live musicians. We have never used any lights, except the stars and the moon which are always beautiful when viewed from the back of a horse. The horses know the way, and could probably get us home with out any steering on our part.

It is also much cooler to ride at night in Texas where we had 8 days in a row with temperatures over 100 at the end of September!!!
--
John & Suzy Ticer on Toby & Kidd
Johnson City, Texas