[RC] WEC results - Ssissipriss1

Sharon Anderson

What I would like to know after reading all the comments re WEC results and large amounts of pulls is were the pulls for?  We all know lameness happens.  How many pulls were lameness, how many metabolic, and how many rider option (RO)?  Lameness doesn't necessarily mean the lameness was caused by the way the horse was ridden. There could have been mitagating factors.  IT HAPPENS! High numbers of METABOLIC pulls to me is alarming at this level, with all the experts and vets assigned to teams, I feel that most metabolic pulls at this level should not happen.   Rider Options also don't bother me, many is the time I just wasn't up to par and capable of helping my horse go down the trail, so I pulled.  So before people start critizing high pull rates, let's break them down and then start looking at why.  I have not seen any breakdowns on WEC, but I know there were alot of comments about the pulls on the NC last October.  Again, I didn't see anyone breaking it down as to reasons for pulls.  WHY?  I've done rides and been pulled where my horse was lame, only to discover it was an abscess from a stone bruise BEFORE the ride. Just bad timing.  When I'm pulled for Metabolic, it's all on me, I'm the one supposed to be taking care of my partner.  Big difference on where to lay the blame.  So WHAT were the causes of pulls?  How many horses treated during the ride?