[RC] Ride Story Wickenburg Ride That Wasn't (for me anyway!) - DRG1

Our First Endurance Ride That Wasn’t

Hoo Boy! We left without getting started because of the weather... The ride was not cancelled, but I live not too far from here, & AZ is known for flash floods in washes & dangerous Air to Ground Lightening. This was some of the worst weather I have seen in 13 yrs of being in AZ, so I went home. Glad I did, check out this weather…

Morning of the Ride: This AM at 5 AM, windy, lots of pea sized hail falling that stayed on the ground (looked like snow), rain, thunder, lightening for 4 hours. The temp was 46 degrees & dropped to 32 degrees by 10 AM.

Still drizzling til 1PM, then another thunderstorm from California comes thru around 1 PM, this time with a Tornado warning too! “The National Weather Service in Phoenix has issued a * Tornado Warning for north central Maricopa County in south central Arizona this includes the cities of Circle City, Wittmann, Wickenburg, Surprise, Sun City West”

So, even More Lightening, thunder, winds of 30+ MPH, rain…

The weather service also says with their Tornado Warning (with my comments in parentheses): If in Mobile homes or vehicles... evacuate them and get inside a substantial shelter. If no shelter is available... lie flat in the nearest ditch (duh, & get in the path of a flash flood in a wash), cover your head with your hands (& kiss you’re a$$ goodbye!). I can’t believe anybody rode in this, it just seemed too dangerous to me! I am watching the weather as I type right now, my house is shaking from the thunder. Getting off the computer now, before my electricity goes out.

Well, that was my first Endurance Ride experience, hopefully, the next will be a lot nicer! LOL!