[RC] Rice Bran - GarnerT

I've been reading the posts on rice bran, pros & cons.  Of course we know
the ratio of rice bran can be a problem.  I used to buy the stabilized rice
bran for a hard keeper - but it was really expensive!  After investing about
2 years on this horse, I came to the conclusion, he wasn't cut out for
endurance and retired him.

My current horse is not a terribly hard keeper, but when I noticed he was
getting a little thin, I started to supplement.  He has access to pasture
(not too good at this time of the year) and all the hay cubes he can eat
(oat & alfalfa hay cubes)  I use beet pulp (about 1/2 gallon wet, a little
less than 2 cups of 3-way cob, and 1/2 cup of corn oil 2X a day to keep the
weight on my horse.  A friend recently found a pelleted rice bran that  has
the correct proportions of calcium to phosphorous.   It comes in a 50 LB bag
& is about $9.00.  She has only been using it for a week or so, so no news
as to the effectiveness.  I'll keep you guys posted.  If it works, I might
switch over, since the corn oil (even bought in bulk) is more expensive +
you have to watch to make sure it isn't rancid when it's hot!

I'm hoping the pelleted rice bran might not affect him as much as the corn
oil.  He was pretty much a jackass at the Fire Mountain 50.  My horse was
the bay bucking at the start.  I was the tightlipped, embarrassed rider!  He
is usually excited, but pretty mellow; so I think the combination of a long
rest after Davenport, the cool morning air, and all that good food was too
much for his tiny little brain.

Kathy Garner
Bakersfield, CA