From: Jutta
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 10:04 AM
Subject: [RC] horses digging

My horses are also diggers. We have one spot in our pasture that used to be an old cow yard about 25 years ago. It grows the best assortment of weeds. My husband keeps spraying it, and we even have reseeded it, but the weeds still come through.
This is the area the hoses love to dig in. I watch the horses dig and uproot weeds and then proceed to eat the roots. They must be especially good in the fall.
My horses have free access to minerals and salt and they aren't doing it because they are hungry. I can only think that these roots must be pretty tasty. I doesn't seem to cause them any harm, and I just ignore it, and fill the holes once a year.
Jutta