Re: [RC] Ride your own ride - Joe Long

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:51:24 -0700, "Sisu West Ranch" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"...Surely riders of the caliber
we expect to have on our team are skilled enough to pace their own
horse?...."

When we were at the Pan Am's in Washington,  we saw lots of riders who did
not pace their horses properly.  I suspect that Art set up the rules as he
did for good and sufficient reason.

I said I'm sure they had their reasons, but especially considering the result I
doubt the reason was either good or sufficient.

If we have riders on the team who cannot be trusted to pace their own horse
optimally, I'd say we should reconsider our team selection process.

Some things are undeniable:

1.  If the team rides together from start to finish, they will all have the same
finishing time as that of the slowest horse/rider on the team.

2.  If the team rides together from start to finish, unless they are remarkably
compatible horses one or more (probably two or three) is not being paced
properly.

3.  As it is minimum total team time that determines the winning team, success
depends on having the lowest total time for your team.  You achieve that by
having each team member perform at their best.  You cannot achieve that when you
force horse/rider teams to take longer than they could have, had they paced
their own ride instead of having to stay with the other team members.

I will grant that having them all ride together may increase the odds of
finishing at least three team members ... essential for success ... but IMO it
is a strategy aimed at "not losing" instead of winning.  It increases the odds
of finishing three team members at the cost of assuring that the team cannot win
the Gold.

If this report is accurate and our team was required to ride together, our team
was beaten before they ever crossed the starting line.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx