RE: [RC] Another probiotics question - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vallonelee@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 8:16 AM
To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Another probiotics question

My husband is new to riding and recently asked me a question I could not answer.  Can you give a horse too much probiotics.  We have talked about electrolytes and how you can overdose with them.  I said I guess so,  but I would ask to see if anyone has any input.

Lee

Yes, you can overdose.  When you plop in a dose of viable microbes, they start to metabolize whatever substrate is at hand and one of the by-products is carbon dioxide.  Too much at once and you can sometimes get some gas cramps.  Better to be conservative when feeding probiotics, especially if during a ride.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM