[RC] WEC :Thursday, Jan 27 It starts!!!! - Lucie Hess

Race Day!!!!  WEll, here we are race day!  It is 5:18 am... Don't even ask me what time it is in the States!  The place is a beehive of activity.  I'm sitting at the computer in the press room.  The room looks out on the vetcheck and crewing area and the start/finish.  Horses are being walked prior to saddling.  It seems some folks have opted to saddle up here than back at their barns and ridden over.  It's at least 1/4 to 1/2 a mile from here to the farthest barn.  The US, Canada and Japan are all in the farthest barn.

This place is amazing, and I'm not just saying that to be politically correct.  IT IS state of the art.  The start/ finsh looks like a race track.  All lit up with white rails on both sides.  It goes about a mile like that.  Remember, once the riders turn on to the desert proper, they are riding in between lighted  rope lighting.  No glow sticks here.  It is the desert!  No trees!

The press room is at a lwo rumble, many people talking on the phone, the copier running, stapling just already workiing.  What amazes me is the various mixture of languages, yet all of us can understand one another to some degree.  The venue, is all finished.  It looks like they worked all night.  Many things now operational that were not there when I left at (;00 last night.

Since labor is cheap here, many projects were done by hand that would have been done with machines.  There are men everywhere with brooms constantly sweeping the sand off of the stairs.
John and Steph aren't here yet.  Many new Journalists are coming in.. Looks like most of them do this kind of stuff for a living!  So I'm sitting here typing this, being a "desk Squatter", let someone come too close to "our spot"  that we have  staked out since we have been here and I'm snarling like a junk yard Dog!  Just call me "Spike"  I'm gonna close and get this off.  Out to get a good spot to watch the start.

Do you Yahoo!?