Re: [RC] Feeding in Extremely Cold Weather, Chinooks and the WEC - Mary

>Mary-Anne wrote:
I  live in northern  Alberta, Canada.
This has been a strange winter for us.  Last week we had -38C with wind
that brought the temp to -45C (also unusual),then it warmed up to near
freezing and today it's -20 with a bit of wind again. (That kind of
weather is hard on man and beast alike). To make this relevant to RC:
I will ride to -20C (with no wind) but at that temp all we do is walk.
I do train in the winter, just at the warmer temps.<

Mary-Anne you are so  much braver than me!  My personnel ride limit is -10C w/o wind.   Sorry to tell you this it was +12C yesterday and +14C today in southern Alberta.   For ridecampers that don't know we are very fortunate here in Southern Alberta because we have the occasional "Chinook" (warm winds blowing over Mts from west coast) to give us a  reprieve from the -40C like we had last week.  We do pay for this luxury and the draw back is some people are prone to the "Chinook headache" and some horses seem to colic more often during a Chinook (Vet Clinics here always have more colic calls during Chinooks).  Some believe this is to do with the Barometric Pressures.
Like she said don't get a Canadian started about the weather.

Side Note - I have had the pleasure of Competing with Mary-Anne and for those of you that don't know Mary-Anne and her little Arab, SH Rock & Roll, won the individual Bronze at the Canadian Nationals (FEI, AERC) 100 mile competition this year in Manitoba and along with Karen Badger on What a Breeze and Larry Handziuk on XXX Flashman bringing home the Alberta Team Gold.
Wish you were in Dubai at the WEC, Mary-Anne!  Will be cheering for our other Canadians Team members that have made the trip!

Mary