Re: [RC] Older Horses - newly gelded - Dyane Smith

Which does I think go to show that horses are very much individuals.  I have a horse that was gelded when he was 10 months.  He has always been very much the ladies' man.  Used to mount mares turned out with him when he was six and some mares would come into heat just seeing him.  He was never aggresive and could easily be ridden with any horse, but he was very in touch with his pituitary or whatever gland that is that signals "I'm a boy, a real boy"...

Dyane
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 6:00 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Older Horses - newly gelded

We gelded a horse at age 14 that had been used sparingly for live cover breeding. He is very easy to handle and ride with other horses. He has turned out to be the alpha gelding in our pasture, even at age 19, but he doesn't bite or kick the other geldings. We have also pastured him with mares (recently). He does tease mares in heat, but he has not tried to mount or become aggressive and has never been a problem riding with mares.

Selena Copeland
Spirit of Texas Arabians
9797 Prairie Flower Trail
Princeton, TX 75407