[RC] WEC: The Quiet Before Everyone Arrives - Stephanie Teeter

It's raining again. The wind was blowing hard this morning - blowing
sand across the road on the drive to the Endurance City - this can
seem a very desolate place sometimes. It's warm though - warm and
humid. And the rain is firming up the sand, which will certainly help
the horses.

It's not helping the construction efforts much though... Hundreds of
people working in every corner. Paving roads, constructing petrol
stations, painting, digging, building, tearing down. Dozers and trucks
everywhere. They have spent the past several days constructing a huge
stadium and platform for the opening ceremonies. Working 'round the
clock. And since the stadium, platform, and everything else for the
ceremony is situated between the in-gate and the crewing area... they
will begin tearing it all back down as soon as the ceremony is
over. Calculating 3 days to construct, 18 hours to remove. no problem.

We went to the celebration dinner the other night - invitations only -
to every Federation - riders, grooms and Equipe staff - all formal
guests of Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum and his wife Princess
Haya Bint Al Hussein - credentials checked, no photos allowed - a
private celebration for the endurance family.

And an amazing affair. It was held at the outdoor restaurant and
entertainment center behind the Bab al Shams. Firepits, built in adobe
style seats, tables, lounging areas. Stage for entertainment, tents,
carpets, camels... the works. It was quite an affair. Incredible food,
drink, good company, a nice time to visit with everybody else.

Gifts were given to all who attended. Numbers drawn upon entering the
party, and numbers called during the evening by the MC. Decorative
boxes filled with gifts - perfume, watches, jewelry, cap and
jackets. Everybody was thrilled at the extent of generosity of our
hosts; and as always amazed at the whole scope of this event. The night
was capped with a spectacular fireworks display. (and the horses slept
in their barns...)

John arrived last night - I picked him up in Dubai around midnight. So
we'll have more photos, better news feeds. Plus the media center is
now open, plenty of computers and fast net connect. It's situated in
one of the wings overlooking the entry gate and cooling area, so there
will be plenty of action to view. I'll be driving for Mercedes during
the race (this I love!!) and crewing too - but hope to snag a few
photos while I'm out there. Meanwhile John will be feeding photos,
news, etc through the Net. Lucie Hess will be here to help, though I
just got email from here, stuck in St. Louis because of the
snowstorm. Maybe a day late.

gotta go, headed to the barn,

Steph

(p.s. from johnt - it's a far cry from sunny summer in Argentina - I'll say
that for sure! 12 hours Buenos Aires to Paris - 6 more on in to Dubai. There
are a few new items on:

  http://www.endurance.net/2004wec/

Course description (hold times, phase lengths, mandatory re-examinations before
leaving 3 of the holds etc.) Press conference tomorrow evening so more info
then I'm sure. Chef d' Equipe meeting on Wednesday.

With the rain, there will be pretty good footing I'm thinking.

jt.)