Re: [RC] Why we ride - DESERTRYDR1

I'm pretty excited tonight, and have no one to share it with but my Ridecamp
buddies.  The thrill of bringing a young equine along is one of my favorite
things.

I took my 4 yr old molly mule, Destiny, (the great brown endurance mule of
the future) out on the trails today for the third time.  She had about 45 days
of training this spring, and I've ridden her some in the arena and round pen,
but so far my rides out had been less than successful.  The first time, she
would just turn around, and I was a bit shy to MAKE her go, and didn't have
many
tools to do it.  Then a couple weeks ago I took her to a training clinic put
on by the gal who trained her.  The clinician is Steve Rother, who is an up and
coming Natural Horsemanship kind of guy.  He's been doing clinics for several
years here in the Northwest.

After the clinic, I felt a lot more confidence that I could make her work for
me.  Last weekend I took her out by ourselves, (more guts than brains
sometimes) and still had the big problem with her just quitting, and turning
around
and fighting with me.  The terrain was not very friendly for this kind of
activity, so we got about a mile and a half, then came back.

Today my riding partner and I went out.  Destiny started her usual stuff,
just about as soon as I got on.  We had walked out a half mile, to get past the
asphalt road, and I guess she wasn't in the mood to work.  I kept after her, we
had a two-lane jeep trail to work on, so I had some room to maneuver.  I just
kept turning her in circles, releasing the pressure when she was going the
way I wanted, and finally she quit fighting so hard.  We actually got over two
miles out, with walking and trotting, and she acts like she's finally starting
to see the light.

All the way home she was good, except for taking off a bit when we passed the
white sign that she spooked at last time.

Maybe four miles doesn't seem like much, but it's well on the way to our
first 50!  For the most part, I actually felt in control, and the times when
she
was going forward, she was very light and responsive.  She's got the nicest
trot, and a fast walk.  Watch for us in 2007 for our first 25's.  jeri