RE: [RC] USA Gold Trail Blazer Chef D'Equipe Report part 4 - Tom Sites

Sun Walt and Cher Habu passed unaimously.  More horses were trotted.  Another vote, 8 pass, 4 pull.  Now it was time for BayMar.  As Larry commented, "I've felt pressure before, but this is unbelievable!"  BayMar was jogged.

A little swing to the gate but he "looked good enough to go on".  It was not a unanimious pass, so a vote had to be taken.  First Judge, No , Second Judge "Can we see him trot again?  Head Vet, Not allowed, all horses are judged in the exact same manner.  Make your decisions on what you saw."

Begin the vote again.  No, No, Yes, Yes, No, Yes, No-At this point my thought was "Gees, I've lost count, what is the vote?."

Seven pass, five pull.  BayMar passed.

Throughout the ride each rider had a crew.  Jeannie Waldron had her friend Sue Riggs and her husband Robin who also served as Team Veterinarian.  Mike Marino had friends Melody Booth-Coull and Paul Ronio.  Jeff Benjamin who was touring Europe joined his crew also.  Viki had her husband Marky and her sister Athele Evans who came in from Hong Kong to help.  Tom Sites had his son Michael and friend Larry Lewis from Kansas whom he'd known from the Great American Horse Race

We were also greatly helped by Mike Robinson and Jeff Cunduff both stationed in Germany with the Army who formed one crew.  Mike has returned from Germany four times to compete in the Old Dominion Run.  Curtis Hyatt, an American living in Germany and three of his friends, Ellen Reindl, Elke Leinsinger, and Peter Baunann formed 2 other crews.  With the help of everyone, Mike Marino's comment, "We were covered like a blanket", was certainly true.

The Awards Ceremony went well, with the USA receiving their Gold Medals, Top Ten Finishers receiving trophies and the Team receiving the German Sterling Silver Plate.  The ceremonies were followed by another great party of Bavarian keg beer, song and dance, dancing on the tables, singing German songs with all the riders intermingling.

By, Lee Wittle

(the most successful Chef D'Equipe the USA Has ever had...my comments. ts)