To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] rearing horse when saddling

I would like to get some different ideas from all of you rgarding a horse that rears when you cinch him up. Can I have some different training ideas from all of you? My first inclination is to pull him all the way over, however it takes two of us to cinch (we do this very gently by the way) and I worry for the safety of both us. He is not sore on his back, but I have no history or background on him at all. However he is a sweetheart in all other areas.

I would be willing to bet he is sore some place or the saddle is causing some sort of discomfort. Horses who are "a sweetheart in all other areas" but one almost always has some physical issue.

I suggest having him gone over by a chiro with special attention
devoted to the thoracics and ribs.

Pulling a horse is incredibly dangerous to the pullee and to the
horse.  You can do a lot of wither damage and run the risk of
cervical injuries.

Marv "Free stupidity tests! $5!  $70 a dozen." Walker
Horse Info & Training Videos: http://MarvWalker.com