[RC] Smart horses - agilbxr

Today, I borrowed a friends truck and trailer and drove out to the barn to retrieve Spot.  We have been having a problem getting a farrier out to the boarding barn, and Spot was overdue for a trim.  So, we took the pony to the farrier instead.

As I drove up, Spots standing in the middle of the upper pasture staring at me.  I went into the tack house to get his halter, and headed out to get him. Normally, he's at the gate with his nose in the halter going "what we doing today???", but not today.  He'd spotted that trailer, and he wasn't going nowhere! so he hightailed it to the lower pasture, going through a gate to get there.  When he passed the gate, he stopped, turned around, and nosed it closed.  Then he proceeded to the end of the pasture.

After I laughed for 10 minutes at the intelligence of a horse who knows that to keep me away, he must close the gate between us, I went and retreived him using the time honored tradition of peppermint candy.  (works every time...)  And, Spot now has nice looking toes again, and the crack that was forming that I was obcessing over trimmed right out.  Yay!

Anyway, I decided it was no wonder he was such a handful, if he was smart enough to close the gate (by the way, he had to pull it towards him to do this....) in order to try and keep from going for a trailer ride.  I think I'm going to have to start studying something in order to remain 1 step ahead of a way too smart, 3/4 foundation appy, 1/4 arabian horse.

Juli and the guys...
Spot (don't wanna go!)
Alpine (tried to climb in the trailer to come home with me too)