[RC] Spots and hundred mile rides - agilbxr

Spot and I had a wonderful moment the other day.  I managed to turn him around away from the barn and walk him into the roundpen with me on his back!  That's a huge improvement over the bucking, spinning beast from 1 1/2 months ago.  It only took 5 tries to get him to do it without protest...all while a big noisy tractor was running next door.  I'm beginning to think that if I want to do a 100 mile ride, Spot is the one to do it with. Alpine is very easily a 50 mile type horse, but I don't see him doing any longer than that.  I would like too.

So, my friend and I have proposed a semi-permanent trade.  I am going to keep Spot for now, work with him, and then start conditioning for real rides.  He has a wonderful LSD base on him, so I hopefully should just have to leg him up a bit....once we have the brain in gear anyway.  I am thinking by the time the bugs die down around here, I should have him out on the trail by himself, and then I can start conditioning him.  And Alpine is the nice calm trail horse she needs right now. (ok, reletively calm...compared to other paso's in our area and Spot).

Is it unreasonable to ask a 8 year old foundation appy/arab to do a 50 mile ride in 3-4 months of good conditioning?  I go slow (he won't be cantering on the trail for quite a while...). And what would be a good 50 miler to start him and I at.  I've done 25's on Alpine, but never farther than that.  I'm in North Florida.... I considered starting Spot on a 25, but I don't think that would give him time to settle...he's got a lot of "go".  My goal is to do a 100 in 2 years or so.
On the bright side, he currently thinks trail riding is an huge smorgasbord, will drink out of any puddle, poop and pee on the trail, and will eat ANYTHING I put in front of him. (I gave him 1/2 a hotdog the other day just to see if he'd eat it.  He did).  So...we are one step ahead of the game!  :)

Whatcha all think?

Juli and Spot (how far?)
and Alpine (haha not me! I get to be a spoiled twice a month trail horse. :)