To: "New_Aerc" <AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 7:31 PM
Subject: [RC] AERC and what we do with our funds

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone last night with a member who
had objected to the AERC budget and in particular to the $1 ride fee
increase.  She had prefaced the discussion with "The perception is that
AERC is a record keeping organization."

That led into why are we supporting all these other activities that
appear to be unbalancing our budget.  The view among some members is
similar to hers.

My response was without trails - we will not have
rides to keep records for.  Without some believable studies and research
about whether horses introduce invasive plant species into the
wilderness - we will be banned from parks - and we will not have rides
to keep records for.

Our trails efforts - grants and volunteer effort - are increasingly
needed to build cooperation with the Federal services who control our
access to trails.  Research studies sponsored by groups like ours are
needed to offset studies financed by those whose agenda is to return
parks to isolation.

We *could* bury our heads in the sand and *hope*
someone else takes care of this for us. Or we could
take some action on our own - such as the trails grants and research we
have started to fund. I don't expect someone else will solve our problems for us.

The Board of Directors has struggled with the issues of spending more on
items like this versus the increasing cost of everything in all our
lives.  We have spent a lot of time on it over the past several months.
Some may still view AERC as a records keeping and standard setting
organization.  Others want to expand this mission.

I feel strongly about protecting our rides by preserving trails for
the future.  I also feel that we need to balance our budget.  Costs for
all of us are higher every year.  We all pay more at Walmart and Costco.
We pay more at the gas pump and the grocery store.

AERC pays more just as you do. We don't live on a different planet
where inflation has stopped. Your Directors know this and are doing the
best that we can to achieve goals we believe important to the membership and still keep a balanced budget.

I personally don't believe raising membership dues - either individual
or family - is the right solution to raise funds. A number of our
mature members who don't ride are on fixed incomes. A number of our
family members are non-riding as well. Raising dues isn't the right thing to do and even if done - I don't believe it would bring in more funds due to a reduction in membership among these groups.

My support of the $1 increase in the rider fee is based on supporting much needed initiatives. Trail support and grants along with research studies are among those. I do not believe that the ride manager should
absorb this cost. They put on the rides we go to. They should not be financially supporting our rides. Putting them on for us is a great contribution on their part.

My bottom line is "What good is record keeping if there are no trails to
ride?" I hope our membership believes in this as well.

Mike