Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] Budget - reponse toTruman - Joe Long

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:11:55 -0400, "Laura Hayes" <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I, and all of us from the east, were in a conference call until after 11:30
PM to work on this, only to wake up the next morning to emails that make me
feel like a shit heel.  It is amazing anyone will ever take this job.

Laura Hayes

I was on the Board for  fourteen years, and AERC President for two, so I know
well the problems.

What got my knickers in a twist over this action was threefold:

1.  First, the big increase was to the non-member fees.  I believe these fees
are a bad thing for the AERC to have in the first place, and I think it's really
bad to raise them because the AERC needs money.  We should be supporting
ourselves.  I would also prefer a friendly, hospitable organization that
welcomes newcomers (like we had when I got started) rather than one that tries
to balance its books on their backs.

2.  Two, that is was done so abruptly.  There was absolutely no urgency on the
budget that couldn't wait until the members had been fully informed of what was
being proposed and given a chance to contact their Directors with their input.
But once again, the members were given almost no chance to comment (other than
some posts on this list, and none of them suggested that a decision was
imminent).

3.  Third, and most important, it was done hidden away from the members.  We
don't know how much it was discussed on the Directors mail list, for example,
let alone what was said and who said it.  The conference call certainly wasn't
open to members (that could be done via an Internet simulcast).  No matter how
altruistic and dedicated the Directors are, when they hide their activities away
from the members like this it makes a bad smell.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx