[RC] Allegany SUAR LD Report/Part I - RISTREE

Amongst all the "heavier" discussions, I thought some of you might enjoy
Randi Jackson's story about riding her first LD ride with her handsome young guy,
Ike ...

--Patti Stedman

I arrived at the ride camp around 1:30 on Thursday afternoon after about a
four hour drive.   While I know it's hard to believe, I managed to get there
with all my body parts intact, my horse with only the required number of holes in
his body and my truck making only the usual noises along the way (refer to
previous ride story...).   We are off to an uncharacteristic great start to the
weekend!  I took my time setting up camp and ambled over to Patti's trailer to
see if I could help with any of the ride preparations.

Three of us sat around stuffing envelopes and watching Patti stress over ride
preparations.  I reminded her that she was the manager of the ride, so for
this weekend she could not be wrong - just mistaken, so don't sweat it (easy for
me to say...) It certainly makes me appreciate the amount of work it takes to
put on a ride.  Patti is very organized and a total control freak, not to
mention a terrific drill Sergeant (just ride in on the clock with her......ONCE!)
 Truly these are skills I admire greatly.  We were treated to a lovely
dinner as volunteers (I really got the better of this deal) and returned to camp
for a good night's sleep.  I was out like a log, and only woke up when I heard
Ike asking for his breakfast.

Friday flew by.  Donna Shrader made breakfast and I did a few odds and ends
to help Patti, drove to Salamanca to get ice (some of the guys were working for
beer.  That's not really a good deal unless it's cold!) and visiting with
friends as they pulled in.  Before I knew it, it was time for the volunteer
dinner, followed by the pre-ride briefing.  Patti is a great speaker, and makes the
briefing as entertaining as a one-man-show.  Most of us - me included are in
stitches listening to her.  The four loops are designated by different colored
ribbons and Patti helps us all remember the order by reciting over and over
"Get Your Butt Ready"; Green, Yellow, Blue and Red.  Got it!  Even I can
remember this!

Around me everyone is talking about "the hill" in hushed, nervous tones.  For
the first and second loop, we are to climb "the hill" and it's a doozy!  I'm
not very good with distances, but my best guess is that it's about a mile, and
very steep.  Fortunately there hasn't been too much rain, and the footing is
pretty good.  I'm feeling just a tad bit smug.  I have been to this park
before and ridden "the hill" with Patti...twice!  The second time was when we saw
the bear!  I know what's ahead of us and that Ike can do it.  These other
chumps don't know what's ahead of them.  We have an edge!  Kathy Calanni and I
decide to ride together as this is her mare's first ride and Ike's second.  We
won't be setting any speed records.  She's a hoot and I enjoy her tremendously.
After the meeting it's off to bed, and I sleep like the dead (this is, I might
add unusual the night before a ride without the benefit of ambien or
alchohol.)

My alarm goes off at 5:20 AM.  Time to get going.  I pull on my tights and a
polar fleece (it was only later that I learned it was only 42 degrees when we
woke up that morning!) and fed Ike and gave him his morning dose of
electrolytes.  Kathy and I had decided not to go out with the pack, so when the ride
started at 7:30, we were actually riding away from the starting line.  A few
minutes later we turned around and calmly walked out on the trail to the whoops
and hollars of our friends (who remarked at the blistering pace we were
setting).  We head out on trail, and before long we are climbing "the hill".

Ike takes the hill in a most serious manner, knowing there is more trail
after he gets to the top. (Hallelujah!  He learned something at the previous
ride!!!)  He is leading, being the "veteran" horse of our twosome and I'm proud as
punch with him.  We trot and canter along the trials and I'm having the time
of my life.  Kathy and I are laughing and enjoying each other's company and the
absolutely GORGEOUS day.  After several miles we pick up Mark  McConnon and
ride as a threesome.

The horses are all getting along fine and the pace is conservative.  It must
be said here that I am a city kid, born and raised.  Mind you I wouldn't trade
my rural life for anything else at this point, but I never quite learned how
to be completely comfortable with ALL that nature has to offer.  As we are
tooling around in the woods I confess that every time Ike looked around in the
woods I looked too.  I remember seeing the bear on our previous trip to the
park.  I was also reminded of the bear at the admin. building at the park where
they have dozens of flyers showing the bears and the damage they can do to
property.  I love wildlife, and it was a thrill to see the bear......once.  I
really don't care to see him again... at speed.... by surprise.... alone...
.....defenseless ......chicken..........  I see no bear and we trot on.