Re: [RC] Fear - Maryanne Gabbani

Ray has a very good point here to put it in another way. I get people riding with me who need to work on fear issues and one of my primary techniques is to get them thinking about almost anything BUT the horse. I take them out on trails where there is so much to see and so much going on that their attention is grabbed at every point by some odd vision. When they realise that the horse isn't bothered by whatever may be going on, they relax a lot.

To do this with a friend, go out with someone who has a very steady horse and then proceed to gossip about everyone that you jointly know, to dismantle their shopping habits, taste in mates, childrearing practices, and television viewing. If you don't have any friends in common, this is your chance to change that. Your details will make those people as real as family! Discuss a book, a movie, a favourite musical group, whatever will take your mind off of any worries about your horse. But disengage the mind and let your body ride the horse.

It's a good idea to do this within your comfort zone. Don't try this in a situation that is so far from what you are used to that you would be correct to be worrying. Half the battle is the gradual expansion of your comfort zone every time you ride

Maryanne
(when all else fails recite the multiplication tables...that in itself is so stressful when you realise that you've forgotten them, that you will stop worrying about riding)