[RC] cri - ridgway - Pvan19

we use the CRI a lot here in France on rides, mainly to try & filter out borderline cases which may have problems when continuing the ride - this test, according to R. himself, is most significant when heart rate = roughly between 60 - 70 bpm, a 64-68 for exemple would be reason for concern and combined with the other measurements might lead to a recommandation to withdraw, while a 40-52 for ex is not necessarily a problem if all other parameters are ok

this test is mandatory here as a recheck just before leaving before the last loop on all race rides (60 + miles) and it looks like the number of horses needed medical care during or after a race has diminished over the past two years. Interpretation however, is subject to much discussion... partly I think because of lack of understanding/training for vets & riders on the significance of results.. not an exact science, more a barometer to be used in combination with other parametres.. but definitely a very very useful tool ( also during training)

Pauline