Re: [RC] [RC] CRI question - Nancy Mitts

I have always been under the impression that the CRI was meant to measure the recovery of a horse from a stressed (in the sense of normal working stress) to a resting state. To take a horse at a resting heart rate (or nearly so) and perform the motions of a CRI was nearly worthless. Perhaps data has been gathered over the years to show that it does mean something? I would suspect there is a much greater variation in (heart rates) in horses as they jump into activity from a resting state. (Than there would be in measuring progressive recovery from a stressed state.)
Example, when riding Candy & Racer together years ago. At the bottom of a big hill, Racer's HR would climb as we climbed the hill. Candy, would stand at the bottom looking up, HR would shoot up in anticipation, then actually go down as she climbed the hill.
So, how does a horse with a resting HR react on a CRI if anxious to get back on trail, seeing other leave the check? Ideally (from an informational point of view) there would be data from the "entrance" CRI measuring progressive recovery, coupled with the exit CRI (they came down will they stay down). They downside is this eats up a lot of time our horses would rather be eating grass or goin down the trail.
The best thing is for the rider to learn what is "normal" for their horse under each circumstance.
Nancy Mitts

I personally think (with no data or specific knowledge) that an exit CRI is more likely to give useful data. My reasoning is: 1. At the end of a vet check you should see a low initial pulse say in the 44-48 range. If not, look extra hard at the horse. 2. even if the pulse goes up 4-8 bpm no big deal, but if it goes up even more look very closely. at the horse.
Ed