[RC] New Orleans - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Diane Day fourdays@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dyane Smith <sunibey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
.  The government knew it was coming.  The government failed...miserably.
Pathetic leadership.

My goodness there has been a lot of posting along this thought.  So much
misinformation - sadly from the media.  First of all, as of Monday everyone was
breathing a sigh of relief - New Orleans (NO) was missed -- again.  The focus
was on getting to the areas of La,Miss, and Al that were virtually elimated
from existence. At least in the city they could loot but along the coast of 3
states, the stores were driftwood too.  I have a friend who has been flying to
Biloxi airlifting people out of Keesler AFB- because that was the area of
immediate concern.  (9500 people across the states rescued - it defies
comprehension - also apparently reportability...)  But as for NO, it wasnt
until late afternoon/evening Monday that the levees broke - surprise surprise.
It was most definetly
the Mayor's job to request federal help as one writer wrote so well in an email
with much other accurate information.  You know why there was no plan for NO??
Denial, surely but also because any money set aside for catastrophic aid, was
ciphered off to the pockets of one of the most corrupt cities in the US.  Bush
denied funds to NO for the levees?  How about 8 years of Clinton - he didnt
give a cent to them. Just maybe all parties for years have known the money
would never get to the levees if appropriated. Anyway, it took from Tuesday to
Friday morning to get the troops in.  Considering the extent of the need, the
provisions required, the people required, the readiness of the centers that
were going to receive this incredible number of people,( and if they werent
ready, the anger and the violence would simply be moved from one location to
another) we should all be impressed with how unbelievably short a time it
actually was.  If this list can't bloody agree on whether to shoe horses, how
do can we expect the government ( not an "it" but made up of people all who
have individual ideas of what is best!) to agree on what target to help out
first!!! I fell for the reporting about what was going on in the Convention
Center, the Dome and on that highway that Shepherd Smith and Geraldo Rivera
were so hystrionic about. I just couldnt figure out why that was happening.
5000 were evacuated, but still these 500 remained. In the Dome, people were
locked in.  It was inferred that the "government" was behind all this.  Well at
lunch today with the police chief of our city, I learned that 88 NO cops were
sent in to the Dome for security and they were forced to leave by the "mafia"
running the show there. It was the local authorities who ordered the isolation
of the people inside the shelters - for safety sake.  Snipers were shooting
doctors trying to load out patients from their hospitals. Snipers were shooting
helicopters dropping provisions.  On a bus evacuation, someone overtook the
driver, killed him and wrecked the bus killing some passengers.  Was that on
TV??  - no way. That info might help people understand the lunacy in NO this
past week and not be quite so quick to accuse the President of incompetancy.
How aware are people that the mayor of NO put the evacuation of 400
foreigners/tourists from the Hyatt where they were basically just fine, ahead
of his own citydwellers stuck in the Dome or the Convention Center.  Those Euro
dollars sure beat out the small change the Projects people had.

I have always been willing to dialogue with those in opposition to Bush (
especially since they are some of my family!)  But when Cindy Sheehan accused
him of being the cause of Katrina - I figured I was dealing with an
irrationality of unlimited bounds.
So as the feeding frenzy goes on-  may we all be availabe and willing not to
point fingers to the east, but to point our checkbooks to the south.