[RC] Katrina help in MS - April Allison

    Hi. This is April, down here in MS. The eye of Katrina went 20 miles east of us, but  we live far enough north that we only had one fence come down and our power was out for a while. We moved here last year due to my husbands job transfer. We were almost sent to New Orleans.
    We are on several lists to get in rescued horses till their owners are found and can take them back.And on the local human society list to house anything that comes threw except cats and dogs. I don't know how many we are getting yet. Rescue is still unable to get into many areas. If anyone wishes to donate for gas money to drive south and pick up rescues, or for hay or vet help, I am keeping records and receipts on how the money is spent and turning them in to ATHA office.
     We have been asked by the local human society to take horses with no coggins papers. Donations or gift certificates if you can find any to labs who do  quick tests and fax result would be great. We are south of the state line and will be a holding point for horses going to rescue homes north while their paperwork gets done.
    My town had a population of just over 700 at the last census, with a median family income of $27,000/yr. The town has grown a lot since then, but is still a very small town in one of the poorest counties in MS. The town has set up a shelter for 100 human refugees in the old highschool gym.There are a hand full of volunteer red cross staff that live here. The rest of the shelter staff is volunteers from town. It is being staffed 24/7 until we run out of refugees. The churches are taking turns providing food each day in a rotating schedule.
     We need: pillow cases, flashlights, batteries, metal or plastic shelving, lysol spray, bleach, school supplies, ensure, canes, pedialyte, disposable thermometer covers, 18 quart storage boxes with tops, water hoses, hangers, pet food, stamps, and phone cards. The local stores are selling needed supplies to the shelters at store cost.
     I have personally taken my barn fridge, board games, puzzles, all extra school supplies, sleeping bags, all the eggs my chickens lay for as long as we have refugees, fans, pet crates, stuff....  basically everything at my house that I can. Besides taking and transpiration horses and ponies, my family is volunteering as food service, phone answering, sorting and handling supplies, child care,.and forwarding funds to the local human society agents ear marked for vet car for equines only.
    If anybody wants to donate for our local shelter, please earmark funds for equine rescue/feed, equine vet care, or human rescue shelter. Please include your email address with your stuff. I will be sending personal stories and updates to the list of people who donate so that you know where your stuff went and who it helped.
     Any extra items donated  to Byhalia Resource Shelter will go to one of the other local Red Cross Shelters.
April Allison ATHA Rep. # 066
92 Carol Ln
Byhalia, MS 38611
662 796 1283

As of 5pm the local shelter sent word to the main office that we are now ready to host busses. We have been told they have no idea when the busses will come but we are expecting 150 people when they do make it. They are on the way. 20 families, 4 dogs and a guinea pig have already been to the shelter and placed with families in town who volunteered empty bedrooms. A single mother and infant were taken to the hospital. These were families straggling north with nothing but the car,clothes on there backs and no homes to go back to. They will be staying until they can find jobs or a place to go. A truck is being loaded with anything we do not have storage space for. As soon as it is full, we are to call the large shelter in the next county. Trucks will be headed to Red Cross shelters in Jackson, with police escorts, as fast as we can load them. Last I heard the normally 2-3 hr drive is taking 14hrs.