[RC] I survived Camille in 1969 - GaitedMorgans3

Yes, it is unfortunate what has happened to hundreds of thousands of people.  Having survived a Level 5 Hurricane IN A VAN one block north of where the tidal wave stopped, I would like to give you good folks some insight from the perspective of a Mississippi girl that grew up on the Gulf Coast.

1.)  People live where they can afford AND/OR enjoy whether it is the million dollar mansion on the beachfront, the one bedroom flat 3 blocks away from the mansion or 10 feet below the sea level protected by a levy.  We don't criticize those living on the edge of a lake or river which can and have flooded as well.  Flood and hurricane insurance can be purchased at additional costs above regular hazard insurance but people make decisions regularly weighing the benefits of spending money on "potential" risk" vs. daily needs/wants.  Life is a gamble.

2.)  Everyone is in shock:  After the storm - I remember emerging from the van in the early morning hours of August 18, 1969 at the age of 13 and being in a total state of shock feeling as if I was watching a movie instead of living my life.  It took my father 1/2 hour to walk 2 blocks back to our house (another story why we were only 2 blocks from our house) having to climb over downed trees and rubble.  The area looked like a war-torn zone.  I didn't know which street was which because the landmarks I knew and street signs were gone.  We had to be careful of rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and being injured.  Bicycles were at a premium for transportation.  Neighbors complied non-perishable food to help each other survive.  Water trucks came periodically just for drinking.  Life was upside down.  We did prepare AHEAD of time by keeping jugs of water and non-perishable food in the shed, but some went bad.  It is not feasible for all families to stockpile a months supply of food and water "just in case."  It was 36 years from Camille to Katrina and Long Beach, Mississippi (my childhood home town) is again demolished along the coastline.

3) Help from others:  Since they don't have electricity to read your comments, I am speaking for those animal-loving people that have to put humans above their pets.  Until you have experienced any life-threatening disaster (results that take years to rebuild and lifetime to overcome), please be careful with criticism.  They will get your emails later and will be broken-hearted to feel as if they have been ostracized for something they did not bring upon themselves.  At minimum they need our prayers and emails of encouragement if not also your second-hand clothes and linens.  I remember receiving sheets and towels and thanked God for those strangers that knew me not yet showed me kindness.  Animals AND children are the victims of their parents decisions and they need help.  They are the walking wounded in heart and spirit.  Yes there are many that will take advantage of others, but children will grow up remembering and may decide to grow past their upbringing to become more like others than their own flesh.  We won't see that happen soon, but it will.  We will be giving seeds of comfort for now and hope for a tomorrow.

4.) The south is full of grass and the need to stock up on hay is small compared to some of our arid habitats.  It wouldn't be feasible to stock pile hay just in case...and if they did, it blew away.  Hard-working people have a difficult time begging for food and water much less hay for horses.  They must feel very embarrassed right now.

5.)  My parents (71 year old mother and 81 year old father who can't drive) survived Katrina by living 1/2 mile north of where the tidal wave stopped.  They had enough provisions for 2 days and then went east.  In Alabama there were no rooms available and a poor couple offered their bedroom for the night.  The next day a woman offered a camper trailer in Florida.  I can't do anything to physically help my parents but others can.  Likewise I can help people near me to help pass on the love.  If you haven't seen the movie "Pass It On," do so.  It will touch your heart like no other movie can.  Mom and Dad are currently in Florida waiting for a relative in Virginia to bring them a generator before going back to Mississippi in hopes that their home hasn't been looted.

6.)  2 drops of bleach in water … what water?  Flood water?  Rain water from drainage ditches?  Put in what containers?  Stock-pile food … where?  In the closet of an apartment?  Evacuate without their own cars (they use buses)?  If every family had a car in New Orleans, it would make it more difficult for us to drive around when we vacation there AND evacuation would have been worse for all.  I don't hear people on TV blaming others for losing their belongings, they are just asking to be taken away from the swamp and given the basics to survive.  Later some will definitely blame others for not "giving" them more and more (too bad), but we do owe them the basics now.  Looting electronics is a no-no.  Those few will not feel guilty because it is not part of their value system.  We can't change that but we can have influence on the next generation: ie-taking care of the children.

My 2 cents worth:  People blame people when thing go awry and don't always take responsibility for their own decisions that led up to the trouble.  BUT, (never start a sentence with but unless you are making a strong point) maybe the hampered relief system was delayed by God to get the attention of our nation.  Maybe all Americans should spend more time looking at areas that need to be cleaned up in our own lives and homes before blaming and criticizing others.  Use the sword to cleanup oneself rather than to knock down someone else.

Thanks for your comments Beth and Juli and I am not in any way shape or form criticizing anyone or the comments of any loving soul giving one's opinion.  I welcome all opinions and read them all.  My goal is simple to provide information (and questions) for others to ponder.  Have a nice day and RIDE ALL WINTER!

P.S.  It took me 20 years to realize why I became agitated at the sound of a chainsaw.  Now I know why and I just put it in its place, wherever that is.

Catherine Schultz
Long Beach, MS graduate of 1974
currently living in Grand Junction, Colorado

Prayers are going out to your suffering, fellow humans.  Put one foot in front of another and soon you will see your progress.