Re: [RC] The cost to riders - Chris Paus

Heck no, you aren't the only one who is worried! I'm looking for a second job just to keep up with the added expenses related to the fuel costs. You know that as fuel goes up, so will groceries and everything else we need because it has to be trucked in from somewhere!

I've got a ride 3 hours away next weekend, a CTR. It's a ride I love to do and one that would be good training for my young mare, but can I afford to go even that far without "trailer pooling".  I'm not sure.

I have a list of rides I want to do in Oklahoma, but those are 5 and 6 hours away. They were on my "to do" list, but may get scratched. I'm kind of taking it one day at a time here. My trailer is only a 2H. The LQ is pretty small, but I could take an extra horse and rider. By sharing the cost, it would cost me as much as going by myself did last year, in fuel.

I live 15 miles from the nearest town, so I'm trying to really plan well and not go to town daily. I've been twice this week.

I may have to tell my grandson that the colt he wanted to keep for his 4H project, we may not be able to keep. And of course, I imagine that one major effect of all this will be fewer people actually buying horses, endurance or any other kind.

Vet's fees will have to go up as their travel expenses go up and shipping of meds and supplies will cost them more. Same with farriers, who make their living on the road traveling from client to client. It's a spiral that will end who knows where?

My husband and I are on fixed incomes. I work part time and my salary won't be raised until January 1. My husband is on disability and retirement incomes and those don't change.

I'm looking at taking in a couple of horses for boarding. I've never done that before, but it's one way to help make ends meet and I've got the pasture for it.

I think this is going to have a huge impact all the way around.

chris

"rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think most of us probaby expect this situation to be somewhat termporary and so many will just sort of hunker down in survival mode for awhile. I'm not going to cut back on my horse's food, healthcare, or any of the necessities, but I can skip a ride. How many others plan to? Am I the only one who is worried?)

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com