[RC] Nick Warhol- Press Release- Zayante to retire! - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nick Warhol nwarhol@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Everyone- It is with very mixed emotions that I am incredibly happy and sad
to announce that Zayante is retired from active Endurance riding.  He had a
near disaster with a horrible colic at mile 40 of the last ride he attempted
four weeks ago.  He?s a tough old guy, and pulled through just fine without
requiring surgery.  (That would have taken place had it been deemed necessary.)
In fact, I would have hired the helicopter to come pluck him from the
mountains and deliver him to Seattle if it were required.

I?m sad that he?s retired because he is an absolutely amazing creature to ride
in endurance rides, and I won?t get to do that any more.  He and I spent a
whole lot of miles together over the past seven years, and I will miss riding
him more than I can convey in words.  I don?t know how it happened, but I
developed an attachment for that horse that is kind of scary.  Maybe it?s just
because I love to ride, and riding him is as good as it gets.  I doubt I?ll
ever see another horse with the ?get it done? attitude that Zayante has had for
his entire career.  All I can hope for is that some of that Zayante magic will
rub off on my new horse when they bump noses in the pasture.  Listen to him,
Don.  Learn from him.  He is exactly what I want you to be.

I?m also very happy he?s retiring, but for different reasons.  This is a horse
that has done a lot, and without a doubt has nothing left to prove to anyone.
13,200 miles is a lot of miles.  It takes a special horse to be able to do
that.  He has always treated every mile like it was his first ride.  In my mind
he?s the definition of an endurance horse.   I?m glad he?s stopping now,
because it means there won?t be any more chances for him to get in trouble.  We
will absolutely, most certainly, without a doubt keep riding him.  Just try and
keep me off him.  But nothing more than enough to keep him going and happy.

Because that?s what he deserves to be, for as long as he will live.  My first
horse Rowan is 31 years old now.   Okay Zayante- there is one more thing you
can do for me.  Bump noses with Rowie in my pasture.  Listen to him, Zay.
Learn from him.  Have him tell you how to make it to 31 years old.  Because
that?s exactly what I want you to do.

Thanks Jackie, for making him part of my life.  Thanks Zayante, for being who
you are.

Nick Warhol
Hayward, Ca.

PS: I will be hosting a retirement party for the old white wonder at the East
Bay Ride in Oakland, Ca, on Friday night, Sept 23rd,  during the ride meeting.
He will be there in person, so be sure to come out and meet him if you get a
chance.