[RC] The cost of rides - Mary Maynard

I have lived about 1 1/2 years in the SE now. I came from Calif where I lived pratically on the Tevis trail. In Calif. I had a large variety of rides;  all less then a 3 hour drive - I think once a year I drove about 10 hours to a ride. I have no such luck here in the panhandle of Flordia. I am so impressed with riders in the SE; because they have to drive so far to get to a ride. I do of course live in a bad area as there are very few rides near by. The average distance for me to travel is about 7 hours to get to a ride.Last year my mare and I were 9th place over all in the SE. I drove tons of miles. I can not afford to do that this year perhaps never again Gas is almost $3.00 a gallon here.
 Frankly I am very tired and bored with Flordia rides, the terrain is all the same; flat and sandy - I have to train in it daily and so to pay to go to a ride and ride the same stuff I do at home is a low priority. I was planning on doing many of rides in Tenn, Kentucky, VA, and North Carolina this season. But gas costs too much and if you have truck problems on the road you have to factor that into the cost. Then you have to get time off work so you can take the time to drive somewhere with a well rested horse. No I can not afford it any more - I am going to stop for awhile. It breaks my heart to stop because it is what I live for -  all my friends back home in Calif know that I am addicted to endurance. But I am going to train at home, try to get other intrests and try to stay sane ;-). Good luck to all of you
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=