RE: [RC] News from Louisiana - VERY OT- Heidi - Tracey Smith

Okay...I promised myself the other day I was not gonna get in on this type
of thread anymore...but after reading the comments below I just could not
help it.
HOW ARROGANT to think that these "poorest of the poor" could have stockpiled
food and water before the storm when so many of them live day to day just to
feed their families during "normal" times.  Have you ever been through some
of the sections of New Orleans where these people live?  While I agree
calling it "third world" is NOT an accurate comparison...these are clearly
not the type of folks with the resources to "stockpile" anything.  And if
they had been able to stockpile...floodwaters rose so fast and furious
they'd likely not be able to get to their pantries or garage or wherever
these things were stored.
Yes, people must take self responsibility, but many of these folks simply
COULD NOT evacuate as they have no transportation out of the city and even
if they HAD managed to GET OUT...don't have the means to sustain themselves.
I don't condone the folks demanding immediate help either...but to say it is
their fault for not stockpiling is just flat out arrogant.
Tracey
-------
RE: [RC] News from Louisiana - VERY OT - heidi
Additionally, as I previously mentioned, even the poor could have stockpiled
water before the storm. That is just simple common sense. The government is
not the only party involved here. People CAN and MUST take a little bit of
self-responsibility in any disaster.