RE: [RC] Magnesium supplementing...etc. - heidi

I'm late into this discussion, but since the original poster asked if
either Susan or I had comments about this, I'd just say that Kat has
pretty well covered what I would have said, but with more detailed
references.  Yes, magnesium deficiency causes increased irritability.
No, this isn't manifested all the time--only when stimulated.  No,
there isn't a good test for it--you have to consider what you are
feeding, and yes, urinalysis is likely better than a blood test.

I agree that any time a sensate being shows an abnormal behavior with
any sort of consistency (ie does NOT respond properly to correction)
one needs to look at the physical or physiological.  I still remember
hearing trainers of young QH futurity reiners and cutters going on and
on about how doing dentistry on the younguns "eliminates 90% of the
training problems."  Yes, you may be able to teach a horse that you are
bigger and badder than the pain--but I don't think that is really fair
to the horse, and judging from Jim's posts, I don't think he really
wants to do that, either.  Training past physiological problems may be
possible up to a point as well--but again, is that what one really
wants to do?

That said, I don't want to suggest that just adding a supplement will
cure most training problems.  It won't.  But the human is supposed to
be the brains of the team most of the time, and that includes
consideration of physical or metabolic issues when problems develop.

The one thing I would add is that some thumpers seem to be helped by
addition of a wee bit of magnesium as well.  Dunno if it is the nerve
becoming less irritable or if it is just that the deficiency is somehow
related to the permeability, but that has been the thing that has done
the trick for several.

Heidi