[RC] Snakes - Peggy B-Smith

I couldn't tell you exactly how to "snake-proof" a horse, but my mare knows what to do when she comes across a rattlesnake.
I was doing a nice, fast training ride with a friend when I saw a large snake up ahead on a narrow, single-track trail. I raised my hand, called Snake! then realized it was a rattlesnake and yelled "rattlesnake!" We stopped and when it coiled up, too close, and rattled, my mare went into warp-speed reverse, faster than I had gone forward. As soon as we were far enough away, the snake went on it's way.
I  think my mare, who is terrified of anything that sounds like a rustling plastic bag, was really afraid of the sound. I have never been able to break her fear of plastic bags and their sound. I think I'm glad now!

Peggy Bergman-Smith
Bear Valley Springs, CA