[RC] Magnesium for spooky horse? Heidi or Dr. Garlinghouse? - Jennifer Fleet

Okay, I've had it with the spook and spins.  After almost three years of riding
Shahtahr and managing to sit his huge spooks, he finally dumped me at a CTR
this weekend.   He was unusually nervous and spooky during the morning of the
ride, and did three huge spooks at NOTHING (drop and spins) within an hour.
The second one sent me flying.

I have heard that supplementing with magnesium can have a calming effect on
some horses.  I used it on my mare years ago and I recall it helping somewhat.

My gelding is on the following feed:

morning:
1 flake alfalfa or alfalfa/bermuda mix (depending on what the barn owner buys)

evening:
1 1/2 flakes orchard grass hay that I supply (he'd get grass both feedings but
I have to pay for it on top of full  board and at $15/bale I can't afford it)
2 scoops Platinum Peformance vitamin/mineral supplement
1 cup ground flax seed
2,000 iu vitamin E
5 lbs carrots
glucosamine and MSM supplements (MSM is withdrawn before rides)

So....given the above, I'm wondering if additional magnesium would help....he
already gets alfafa in the morning, which I believe has a high magnesium
content, so it might be pointless to try.

Platinum Peformance has a producet called Platinum Gentle that is magnesium,
calcium, and thianine (sp?) - an amino acid that has a calming affect - it is
all legal for competition and is formulated to be fed along with Platinum
Performance without causing any imbalances.

Could this be of any benefit, seeing's how my horse is already getting alfalfa
in the a.m. ?

Any other suggestions to try?   Valium, Prozac, Xanax, a bullet?   LOL    Just
kidding Shahtahr!

Jennifer