[RC] snakes and horses - Tracey Smith

Thankfully I have a mare that is NOT scared of snakes as there is nothing I
am more afraid of than ANY type of snake.  First time I came across a snake
on Amira I'd only had her under saddle for about 4 months...came across a
copper-head at the Grasslands and she'd have trotted right over had I not
been warned by my friend (who HAD just trotted over) about it.  Once I
stopped her she was cautious, but not afraid as we diverted widely away from
the snake and headed on down the trail.
As for horses striking snakes, I am told my older mare Kaahli once did this
to a rattler when her former owner was riding her (they lived in Palm
Desert, Ca) but she's not done it while we have owned her.  She will "put on
the brakes" when she sees one, but then thankfully leaves the decision about
what to do next to her rider.
I know our horses can easily pick up on our fears and I am just so thankful
that neither of my girls does this as the sight of just a garter snake makes
my heart rate go THROUGH THE ROOF!  So, those "brain dead" arabs are smarter
than we give them credit for...as both my girls take care of me well in that
situation.

Tracey (just grateful I don't have to deal with gators and bigger monsters
on the trail.)
I was trotting along a woods trail the other day - come around the (blind)
corner and as I look down see my horse trot right over the top of a diamond
back rattler. That sucker was as big around as my upper arm. He just kept on
trucking. Now this is a brain dead Arab that will spook at a stick in the
trail - but trot right over the top of a big rattler.

This is actually the second time he tried to trot over a rattler. The other
time I saw the snake and pulled him up and made him walk around.

Go figure.

I wouldn't put too much stock in your horse growing up in "snake country."

Truman