Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] hard roads

>>>I don't think that one can make a fair comparison regarding what a dressage rider is attempting to do (and the need for a perfectly groomed ring) and what an endurance rider may do. It's like a gymnast and a long distance runner. Can an Marylou do what she did on >>an uneven surface etc...What the 2 equestrian disciplines have in common is horses not >>>the goals of training. Thus, one is comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not condemning them. I'm just wondering if their horses would be more sound if they were out running the hills when not in the arena. I read a dressage list for awhile once and remember a woman putting a post on urging everyone to *always* wrap their horses and put bellboots on *every* time they gave them turnout in the ring to keep them safe. Sounded like us talking about helmets. Then she went on to explain how her horse had just been injured playing in the ring. Then I remember...who was it...Alydar? who kicked the wall of his stall until he broke his leg? Just seems that if those horses had constant turnout their legs would be stronger and they wouldn't build up all that steam that has to be blown off in a dramatic manner.

 I really admire my dressage rider friend and haul 45 minutes to her place just to get a few tips on how to make my horse carry himself better. I believe both of us could learn from each other. Funny, she's had a bad trail experience and cannot bring herself to get on a horse outside a ring any more. Me...I'd be afraid to ride that beast she rides in the ring!

Angie