Re: [RC] hard roads effect, lameness - Chris Paus

Exactly!!! There is a bigtime Arab show barn near where I live and they use the same vet clinic. they have bowed tendons and injuries all the time.. they keep the horses in 23/7 and take them out for an hour of work. Well, duh... if I sat all day and went out to exercise all of a sudden, I'd get hurt too!

I went to a seminar sponsored by Adequan. The pitch man couldnt' believe that I have an 18 YO endurance horse who is sound without any injections! LOL....

And the people who keep foals in tiny corrals. My babies run and play and develop strong bones and sinew.

chris

angiesaid:

Coming from an endurance background, I have been dumbfounded by the
number of serious injuries I see in the dressage/show crowd. (one halter
horse I knew bowed a tendon trotting into the ring) The more they try to
keep them safe, the more they put them at risk, but how can you convince
them of that? ......To answer your question about hard surface making them stronger...it
will, if used in moderation with ample time for the body to react and
grow stronger. You ride on a hard surface one day, the next day the body
lays down more bone to be prepared for "next time". However, if you ride
them on a hard surface day after day without time to rebuild you are
weakening the bone and will eventually have a breakdown. .....The show people wrap their horses in bubble wrap and keep them in padded
stalls until they grow weak, then they hurt themselves when they're let
out to play. Train your horse in a reasonable fashion and he'll be safer
all around.

Angie