[RC] OMG! No Brakes!!! - Nancy

We just returned from a 1500 mile adventure with our 2 horses.  I have
looked at 2 ridecamp digests that have several posts on trailering issues.
I wanted to add what happened to us, short version.
I tow with an F350, V 10, Ford, class C, '98 23 foot Tioga RV.  The trailer
is a 2 and a half year old Morgan Built aluminum 2 horse slant load.  The
week before we left both were in the shop for inspections and the trailer
wheels were pulled, repacked, brakes inspected.  The RV had the brake
controller replaced.  I thought I was OK.
First mistake, took the scenic route, not the freeway.  We needed to go
south to the Fresno area from Sacramento.  The map said the hiway 49 was a
big road, so we took it.  The map did not tell us the elevation changes and
length of the down hills.  Second mistake, did not personally inspect and
adjust the new trailer brake controller.  Third mistake, did not have the RV
back brakes adjusted prior to the trip.
Near the end of a 6 mile 9% down grade I had a voice pop in my head that
said," pull over now!"  The brakes shuttered and went to the floor.  My
husband and I looked at each other, OMG smoke was coming out of the front
brakes! We chocked the back wheels and waited an hour to see if they just
needed to cool down.  No luck, pedal still went to the floor.  The horses
had several pounds of carrots, couple of cans of pellets, several buckets of
water and were very happy watching the logging trucks roll by.  We unloaded
my husbands dirt bike, gave him the US Rider card and off he went to
Coulterville to find cell reception or a pay phone.  I looked at the
beautiful Merced River roll by below us and thanked God for the warning.
My daughter and I pulled out the camp chairs and parked under the horse
windows with water buckets, extra food and a good book.  We opened the bars.
Lyric found fun in sloppering over Dani's head and Jazzi just ate and ate.
The horses were in the trailer for almost 12 hours.  They ate a half of bale
of hay and drank 50 gallons of water between them.  They were quiet as long
as we sat with then.  It took a several hours, but US Rider got us out of
the canyon in one piece, found us stabling for the horses and a RV repair
shop to fix the brakes.
We landed in Mariposa with angels.  The Towing Company, Ponderosa is owned
by a horse family who knew all about trailering. The folks at the
Fairgrounds had 2 big grassy paddocks waiting for the horses.  The RV shop,
Blackburn's educated us on the many failings of Ford truck brakes.  They
also let us sleep in the RV that night.  They had the job done by 1 pm the
next day. No one was hurt except for our wallets.
Here is what I learned.  You must always take the freeway unless you have
personal experience with the scenic route.  Always personally test and
adjust your brake controller.  Have the RV back brakes adjusted every 3,000
miles. Listen to the voices, they are important messages.  Laugh at your
failings and love your family, both 2 and 4 legged.  They or you could be
gone in an instant.
I will write the long version and post a link in the next week. We meet so
many wonderful people and Dani and Lyric are California 4H Pole Bending
State Champions!  Happy to be home and only missing money,
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA