Re: [RC] walking backwards - Laney Humphrey

One of the funniest rides I ever had was when my horse was just getting started. He was maybe 4. He is a Spanish Mustang. We were trail riding with friends and it started to rain. To get back to the barn, we had to ride into the wind and rain. Poor Dino wasa caught in a real tussle between his instincts which told him to put tail to the wind and his desire to get home which meant facing and moving into the wind. I'd persuade him to move forward, maybe 10 steps, then instincts would take over and he'd turn around. But then he'd realize he wasn't getting home by doing that (& besides his buddies were leaving him). We kind of twirled all the way home.
Laney

Nancy Sturm wrote:
I once owned a very odd QH gelding sired by an old time horse named Mainline Buck. Usually, he came up to the barn in the evening when I called him, but one stormy night he didn't come even though I called for quite a while. SInce our pastureland runs in a long narrow strip at the base of a mountain, I can't actually see the pasture from the barn, so I had to walk down the hillside to see why Scotty wasn't responding. Seems he actually was. It's just that the wind was blowing really hard down the length of the pasture and Scotty was walking home backwards. It was taking him much longer than his usual frontward trip.
Nancy Sturm